I’ve made lots of molds in the past year or so, since I started really getting involved with plaster and resin. I’ve made molds for miniatures, terrain, building blocks, etc.
But up until now my molds have really fallen into three categories:
1. Miniatures (I’ve probably got about ten miniature molds)
2. Non-standard terrain (Only a few of these, one for a wall, one for a column, one for some rocks)
3. Hirst block assemblies (These are all floor elements that are intended to make it fast and easy to make modular elements for dungeons. This also makes for much stronger floors than just gluing individual blocks together).
What I have not made, up until now, is any sort of custom mold which duplicates the function of the Hirst molds, but with my own sculpted blocks.
Now I have one. Basically I wanted a 4″ diameter fieldstone tower mold and didn’t have one. So I sculpted the individual blocks and then created a mold that lets me cast sets of blocks which I can then assemble into towers, etc.
I’ll try to take a photo tonight. I made the mold Monday night (during the football game) and it took 24 hours to fully cure (which means I probably didn’t get the catalyst exactly right in spite of using a postal scale to measure the amounts “precisely” – sigh). So last night I started casting some blocks using the new custom mold. I was able to cast five sets of blocks, which was enough to create a four block high “tower”. Tonight I’m going to cast more blocks, hopefully enough to have a high enough tower that it can actually be used in a game. Then I can paint and seal it.
But just based on the dry-fit four block high “tower” I did last night, I am fairly pleased with the results. The blocks fit together pretty well even without any sanding, meaning I got the sizes close enough that they fit together without any horrible gaps or unevenness or bubbles, etc. I believe the result would be a perfectly usable tower.
It will take a few days for me to make the blocks needed even for a prototype tower and they will need 48 hours to dry enough to glue and paint, so it will be Friday at the earliest before I have anything to take a photo of, and it will probably be more likely to be a weekend activity.